What’s On: Southbank Centre’s Winter Festival
Festive fun over the Southbank until 10 January 2014
This winter, Southbank Centre invokes the spirit of Charles Dickens to welcome visitors to The Winter Festival with NatWest.
The Festival will transform the 21-acre site into a magical landscape with bicycle-powered Christmas tree snow globes, art installations, bustling markets and twinkling canopies of lights. The Festival programme is packed with enthusiasm, generosity and entertainment for all ages – from world class theatrical performances and festive concerts, to free participatory dance events and activities that explore the joy of giving.
- A Christmas Carol – under the dimmed lights of Queen Elizabeth Hall, we celebrate the 170th birthday of Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol with a dramatised reading of the legendary story. The actors bringing to life the unforgettable characters are: Griff Rhys Jones as Charles Dickens and Bill Paterson as Scrooge, as well as Freddie Fox, Tim Pigott-Smith, Ian McNeice, Phil Daniels, Janine Duvitski, Bryony Hannah and Amy Morgan. The evening will begin with pre-show Christmas music, mulled wine and mince pies (15 Dec) Age recommendation: 10+
- Christmas Mini Midnight Run – join Inua Ellams for an exploration of charity and goodwill in a guided walk of our urban landscape (6 Dec)
- Folds – acrobat-musicians tumble through a set made entirely of paper and cardboard in the London premiere of this colourful circus show (17 – 31 Dec)
- Christmas Markets – a choice of four markets: Southbank Centre Christmas Market (15 Nov – 24 Dec); Designers/Makers Market (16 – 22 Dec); The Chocolate Festival (13 – 15 Dec) and the Real Food Christmas Market (19 – 22 Dec)
- A Vintage New Year’s Eve Party – co-curated with Wayne Hemingway and HemingwayDesign, the Royal Festival Hall is transformed into a hotspot of glamour throughout the decades with the most exclusive views of the Thames fireworks following last year’s sell-out (31 Jan)
- Free Festive Events – from Argentinian Tango (15 Dec) and Boxing Day Swing dancing (24 Dec), to Voicelab’s Winter Big Sing (22 Dec) and our annual Gamelan Christmas Chimes (19 Dec), there are free events throughout the Festival, including daily performances by London choirs (9 – 23 Dec).
The HOT Deets
When? On now until 10 January 2014
Where? Southbank Centre, Belvedere Rd, London SE1 8XX
How much? For full details visit the www.southbankcentre.co.uk/winter / or call 0844 847 9910
Image credit: Belinda Lawley